Tuesday 16 August 2011

Book Review: The Hating Game by Talli Roland

The Hating GameThe Hating Game by Talli Roland

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


What a totally refreshing read! A different approach to romance, with the back drop of a reality TV show as the plot.

I really enjoyed this book. It had great pacing, sharp, witty writing and by the end I didn't want to put it down. The author has a great way with words. This story had me giggling, and cringing at the poor things Mattie had to endure.

Mattie is one tough cookie with a chip on her shoulder (if you ask me) but I still found myself empathising with her, realising her mum's brainwashing is the reason Mattie is the way she is.

My only tiny niggle would be I didn't get enough of Kyle. I would have liked more of him 'on stage' rather than Mattie reminiscing. But that could be because when he was on stage, I loved reading him. 


View all my reviews

Had to wait to post this review, as I didn't want it becoming my 100th blog post. It's 101 instead.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Thank you loads for taking the time to read and review my novel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I have Talli's book on my Kindle ready to read. Somglad I've read this review!

    I see from your profile you are studying with the Writers Bureau. I also studied with them. Found the first few modules quite difficult and was relieved to get to the creative writing! I published a boom earlier on this year, a paranormal romance.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, Talli. It was a refreshing read. A modern voice.

    Crystal, I started with the non-fiction but have switched over to the fiction part (though once boys are back at school, I might try getting some articles published) as I've finished writing one novel and in the middle of another, and my brain seems set to fiction. But it's always good to hear a Writers Bureau success!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.