Monday 22 August 2011

Book Review: Pride And Prejudice by Jane Austin

Pride and PrejudicePride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book took me a tiny bit longer to get into than Jane Eyre, but once I was into it, I didn't want to put it down - hence it has four stars rather than five. (It's four and a half really). 

The language at times is a little confusing too, sometimes I wasn't sure who they were speaking of, or who was speaking, whereas I understood Jane Eyre easier. It was a case of getting used to the language.

Where Charlotte Brontë would go on further with her descriptions, Jane Austin was lighter on that note with her language. It truly was wonderful to read. I couldn't wait for Mr Darcy to be on the page with Elizabeth.

However I did feel slightly cheated at the end. Elizabeth and Mr Darcy are clearing the 'air' and then next chapter Jane is talking about them being engaged. We never really see the proposal. I would have liked to have seen it. The Die-Hard Romancer I am! 

This book was published in 1811 - 200 years ago. The book, although fiction, provides historical facts because of being written in the era it's set. I find it fascinating and is probably why I've enjoyed this book and Jane Eyre so much. 

But at last! I can now watch the DVDs I've got, to enjoy this book all over again in a television adaptation of it. I must say, I've been picturing Colin Firth as Mr Darcy while reading this book.

I picked up Sense And Sensibility today and I'm eager to read, but might go for a modern novel and read later. I'm supposed to be researching the market.  


View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. You didn't miss the proposal Teresa, that WAS the proposal - him saying 'if your feelings what they were...' etc etc. (He's still more repressed than we would like at that point, it's the marriage that further softens him)

    Sorry - it's my favourite book ever! It's the only novel I can quote at will... I'll get my coat... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annalisa,

    Thanks for telling me. I've gone back and re-read it and yes, now understand. The language is difficult, and the action was a little "telling" (rather than showing), so hence I missed it properly the first time. :D It really is a great book.

    I bought Sense and Sensibility at a bookstall in Bristol on Sunday, so enthralled by *this* book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Pride and Prejudice. Can't wait to hear what you think of Sense and Sensibility :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm eager to read it, Sarah, but thought I'd best pick up some modern fiction, as I'm supposed to be researching the market etc.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.