Friday 20 January 2012

What? Friday Already!

Does anyone else find it a bit freaky that Friday comes around far too quickly?

Most people, who work during the week, love Fridays. I used to be one of those people too. It means the end of the week, the beginning of the weekend. To me it means Work. Only three hours this afternoon but they are the slowest three hours of my life. I may have told you this before.

This weekend is my weekend off, but I'd put myself down for three hours overtime (nice 9am-12 number), which has since turned into six hours and getting up at 5.30am. Boo! (Just think of the money, Teresa!)

I've just come back from a job interview at the school - Think Victoria Wood's Dinner Ladies :D

Although working in the week means eating into my writing time, I do need the extra cash and it would be 1 hour and 10 minutes out of my day three days a week. Okay, it'll turn out more than like an hour and a half by time I've walked there and back etc.

I have been fretting recently. On one hand I need to make some money, so wonder should I concentrate on short stories and articles. They're quicker, get more out and likely to get a higher hit rate. But you do need to buy magazines and read the content to get the ideas flowing! Or, do I stick with the novels? I enjoy writing the novels, but the reward maybe very long term, and a very long way off. Having joined the RNA NWS, I have to concentrate on novels anyway, as I need to send one off before 31st August.

I've spoken to some friends and they say write what you love. And to be honest, I think it would show in my writing... so I'll stick for the novels, get it set in my head my reward will come, but it may take a few years... and stick at it with Tescos and (hopefully) with the school if I get the dinner lady job for the cash I need to carry on 'living'.

In other news, I have added an F to my name, as you may well see on this blog and on Twitter. I wanted to distinguish myself from The Other Teresa Morgan.

I don't have a middle name, so the F stands for Frewing - obviously! But as Jane Holland kindly pointed out in my last post, Frewing is not a romantic author name. (Which is a real shame because it's bloomin' unique). So, I've decided, maybe, as long as I keep Teresa, I'm going to just make up a surname. So if you have any suggestions for romantic surnames, drop them below in the comments box. What goes nicely with Teresa?

I quite like Hart. But imagine there are zillions of romance authors with Hart as their surname. (Edit: You will never believe this, just spoken to my dad, and my Grandmother's maiden name was Hart!)

I'm going to find out my grandmother's maiden name and maybe use that. My Nan's is Gore, my mum's is Habicht. Neither of these scream romance. Frewing sounds more romancy than them two put together!

Or maybe I could find something to double barrel with Morgan? Morgan-Hart, Morgan-Gray, Morgan-????

Answers on a postcard please... or comment below (as it's cheaper).

And here's your reward for reading my blog...


Oh wet muscular bodies are the best!
oh, what about Teresa Bradley-Cooper :-P

7 comments:

  1. I actually think the F works well - we still know it's you, but you distinguish yourself from the other writer.

    I know what you mean about Fridays - I start at 2.30pm and finish at 10pm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay - glad you're liking the F - thought that way it might mildly distinguish the two. I don't want to be accused of publishing etc. when I haven't!

      My Friday shift was over... but I was up at 05.30am this morning. I'll be so pooped later.

      Delete
  2. The middle initial could be all you need. Anyway, there's time to decide. I've read lately that it's at least good to stick with your real first name as there's a better chance of you responding if someone calls you by it than if you use a pen name that's different than both your names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, stick with my real name for now. I'll get confused otherwise. And yes, I think if I have to change my name I'll try to stick with Teresa and have a new surname. I'm chuffed to bits to find out my Grandma's maiden name actually was Hart! lol! Morgan-Hart, hey?

      Delete
  3. I like Frewing! As long as the other Teresa Morgan isn't doing anything you disagree with then I wouldn't worry for now. I've heard people say that their publisher gave them a pen name anyway when they accepted a manuscript.

    As for the job thing, I think 'framing' your writing time often makes you focus more. Happy writing. Mx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Morton. Well some publisher might like Frewing too - who knows. All depends on what's fashionable at the time I suppose lol!

      Well, this is why I wanted to put an F in my name. If you notice on Twitter, I realised it could be quite easy to get us muddled.

      I'm trying get an hour done during the day, and whatever I can in the evening. But the evening has to have some reading time too. I'm used to writing in the evenings. Though, I find when I'm actually writing (I'm editing at the mo) I find it very easy to get 1000-1500 words done in a day. Not so easy to motivate myself with the editing for some reason... I think because I'm not actually very confident that I'm improving anything... or how to improve it.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and did you get your RNA NWS pack? Mine arrived today?

      Delete

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.