Friday 3 February 2012

Book Review: Writing Erotic Fiction by Derek Parker

Writing Erotic FictionWriting Erotic Fiction by Derek Parker

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Jean Saunders' family donated some writing books to my writing group. We use it as a library, and this was among it.

The edition of this book was published in 1995, and therefore is a little out of date.

We now have the eBook which is a great source for erotica novels - with many ebook publishers available. But, all the same, it was an interesting read, including the history of erotica literature - it provided some classic passages. 

I'm not sure if I'm any the wiser in how to write erotica (or if I'd be any good at it). It's something that depends on era. What was being written in 1995 and accepted, could be very different to what is present day.

This book talked of novels being 80,000 words and sex had to occur regularly (every 2000 words - or something like that!). I'm not quite sure I could manage that! I might stick to romance... However, this might be proof that times have changed, and more plot is required in your story.

Right, what to read next?

(By the way, this is not the cover of the book I read. Thanks to the Amazon/Goodreads dispute, my cover has been lost).


View all my reviews


4 comments:

  1. Well there's always the halfway house of erotic romance. They don't have to have sex quite as often as that! And of course thee romance has to work in the usual way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to give it a go - even if no one ever sees it. Well, I might let you read it, (as you're my beta) and go from there. lol!

      Delete
  2. Does the book explain how to write it without blushing? Sorry, I'm a big kid and I'd just be giggling.

    I once had a serious conversation with my mum about writing erotica - I'm still not sure how we got onto that topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can't be a prude lol! No inhibitions is key! Or hide behind a pseudonym :D

      Delete

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.