Wednesday 23 October 2013

Hump Day Hot Seat: Lorraine Wilson



Today I have Lorraine Wilson in the Hump Day Hot Seat. Lorraine and I attend the same RNA Chapter meeting in Lacock, and we are both Harper Impulse authors. She is one of my writing friends who I do meet on a regular basis, which is really nice. 

So let's get on with the questions! 

Lorraine, have you always wanted to be a writer?

Yes, I used to create fictional worlds in exercise books and used my savings to buy a typewriter.

Did you manage to get the first book you wrote published, or is it tucked in a drawer somewhere?

My first book wasn’t good enough to be published but I submitted it to the RNA’S new writers’ scheme and got such encouraging advice and learnt from my mistakes. I think that writing is like any other skill, the more you write, the better at it you get.

Why do you like writing romance?

I used to write quite depressing stories in my teens but I like to listen to feel -good fiction and I have discovered how much fun it is to write. I like to write books that will put a smile on peoples’ faces, the world can be quite depressing enough without adding to it!

What’s the best bit of writing advice you’ve ever received or read?

Keep writing- it sound very obvious but seriously you need a bit of stickabililty if you want to get published and stay published.

What things inspire you to write? Location, music, film or even in a book?

I’ve set my Chalet Girl books in my favourite part of Switzerland but I also find inspiration from magazines and news stories and draw from my own experiences.

What is next on your agenda after publishing your book?


Secrets of a Chalet Girl’ is published tomorrow (24th October) and then ‘Revenge of a Chalet Girl’ is out 19th December. I’m currently working on Secret Valentine of a Chalet Girl.

Are you nervous about friends reading your book?

No, having an editor critique your sex scenes gets you over your nerves but the big worry is family reading my books. When I went to the hairdressers the other day I was asked about the sex content of my book and replied that my mother-in-law is forbidden to read past page sixty of ‘Confessions of a Chalet Girl’. The hairdresser replied that he was going to buy the book and start at page sixty! I’m not sure I will be able to look him in the eye next time I get my haircut!

Do you love or hate Facebook?

I avoided Facebook for a long time and have only started using it properly this year. I have to say I love it - it’s enabled me to make contact with readers and writers I wouldn’t have met otherwise and there’s nothing nicer than a lovely Facebook message from a reader when you’re having a bad day.

Thank you so much, Lorraine, for being in the hot seat. I thoroughly enjoyed Confessions of a Chalet Girl (here's my review if you're interested). I remember what happens on page sixty! Hot stuff - phew! And I'm loving the covers of your books. Good luck with Secrets of a Chalet Girl and the rest of the series.  

You can read the first chapter of 'Secrets of a Chalet Girl' for free here.

Keep up to date with news about the Chalet Girl series here:

Lorraine Wilson's places: Website / Facebook / Twitter / Blog

About Lorraine Wilson

I live in Wiltshire with my husband but love to travel and have lived in four continents. From playing amidst Roman ruins in Africa as a child to riding a Sultan’s racehorse in the Middle East as a teen, I’ve many experiences to draw on for the stories. I’ve been writing ever since I can remember. When I’m not writing you’ll find me listening to audiobooks while I sew or design handbags, usually with a rescue terrier or two curled up on my feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.