Friday 29 August 2014

Happy 1st Birthday, Plus One is a Lucky Number

On this day, one year ago, I fulfilled my dream of becoming a published author.

Plus One is a Lucky Number (aka its working title The Wedding Favour) was released as an eBook with Harper Collins' imprint, Harper Impulse on Thursday 29th August 2013. They placed it in their Rom Com/Chick Lit category, and I remember worriedly asking my new editor, Charlotte Ledger, "Is it funny enough?"



Apparently it does have gentle humour throughout. And with 28 reviews on Amazon, the majority of them being four or five stars, I've hopefully done something right. I've had mums in the playground stop and tell me they couldn't put my book down.






Me, Jane, Lorraine & Charlotte - Oct '13 Harper Impulse Party






The lovely thing is that I've joined Harper Impulse with three other members from my Bath & Wiltshire RNA chapter meeting - Lorraine Wilson, Jane Lark and Charlotte Phillips. So I haven't gone in it alone, and they're good sounding boards when I'm not sure about something.


First book signing - 9th Aug 2014


Only recently I actually held my first book signing at Waterstones in Weston-super-Mare. It was a fabulous afternoon with a lot of support from fellow writers and good friends. I blogged about it on the Harper Impulse blog here.

In this year, I have obsessed over reviews and Amazon rankings, even though we're told not to. I've seen it released in paperback (8th May 2014), I've attended the RNA Summer party as a contender for the Joan Hessayon Award.  I've even had cocktails at the Ritz!

Joan Hessayon Contenders - RNA Summer Party May 2014




I have also learnt I will never tire of these two words said together: My editor.

Plus One is a Lucky Number is dedicated to Elizabeth Charles and Star Ostgard. These two women, way back in 2006, encouraged me to start writing. If they hadn't, I wouldn't be here. I'd be somewhere, frustrated and bored... Now I know the voices in my head are normal.

Thank you x




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.